Locomotive #154 was built in 1890 by the Schenectady Locomotive Works in Schenectady, New York; only one of ten preserved Schenectady built locomotives that are still in existence today. #154 was delivered in 1890 to the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia as locomotive #466. In 1894 the ETV&G and the Richmond and Danville Railroad merged to form the Southern Railway. After the merger the locomotive became Southern Railway #154 and served in the East Tennessee area until it was given to the City of Knoxville to be put on display in August 1953. Since 1953 the locomotive has been on public display at Chilhowee Park in Knoxville. In 1989 the locomotive was given to the Old Smoky Railway Museum, which donated the locomotive to the Gulf and Ohio Railways in August 2008. The City of Knoxville and the Old Smoky Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society cared for and maintained the locomotive while on static display which kept it in a condition that made restoration to operating condition possible. #154 is the oldest operating Southern Railway steam locomotive and also the oldest operating locomotive built by the Schenectady Locomotive Works.
© Matthew Malkiewicz - Lost Tracks of Time